Hi Bruce,

I downloaded some IVE files from a website that I am trying to use for a
project teaching teens how to create video games using OSG.   I want to
dynamically add objects along the path in the scene.  To do this I will have to
specify the XYZ of the point to add the path.  My problem is that I don't know
how to find the point short of using the debugger to get the camera location.
That is a bit tricky to teach the kids at this point of their knowledge.  I
would like to have a way for them to move around in the scene and decide where
they want to add objects then edit a startup file and add the coordinates for
each location.

Instead of using the debugger to get the location, why not show it on the screen (using osgText::Text for example) or even printing it in the console?

If you want to be able to click in the scene and get the location of an intersection with the terrain for example, just use IntersectionVisitor + LineSegmentIntersector, or View::computeIntersections(). That way you could click somewhere on your terrain and make a model appear where you clicked. Search the OSG examples in the source code to see how to use IntersectionVisitor or computeIntersections().

Hope this helps,

J-S