Hi Thorsten,

Your report of problems when mixing OSG's built in analgyphic stereo
with shaders is the first one I've seen.  I've just tested osgvolume
with analyglyphic stereo and it works fine with svn/trunk and the
OSG-3.0 branch - this uses shaders, and J-S has tested with other
shader based example so I'll not look go chasing this further.  As far
as I'm aware there hasn't been any regressions in stereo support since
2.8.

However, before the 3.0 release I did have an email exchange with
Mathias Froehlich about Flight Gear problems reported with 2.9.x
series.  Mathias wasn't able to pinpoint the cause of the problems but
suspected the custom cull traversal that FlightGear used.  The vast
majority of OSG user won't need to do this, and I wouldn't generally
encourage doing this types of low customization as when you start
working with low level internal classes the higher chance that some
internal change will break the 3rd party code.  Normally when we make
internal changes we are able to avoid changes in behaviour in client
applications as they are insulated from them via the standard
interfaces in the main scene graph and viewer classes.

I'm not familiar with the customization that FlightGear is making to
the OSG, like Matthias I would suspect that this relies upon internal
behaviour that is no longer quite the same in the OSG-3.0.0.  It could
of course be an OSG bug not picked out by anyone else in testing the
2.9.x series over the last year and half.  It may even be the case
that FlightGear relies in buggy OSG original behaviour that now it's
been fixed causes FlightGear to go amiss.  For most users OSG-3.x will
be pretty similar to OSG-2.8.x, and the reports of problems we've seen
since 3.0.0 are all relatively minor, certainly not to the extent that
FlightGear seems to be having.

To pinpoint what changes to the OSG are causing these problems with
FlightGear one could take two approaches -

iteratively check the 2.9.x series for which versions work and which
ones don't until you locate on which dev release broke FlightGear. To
avoid just checking every release one could take the 2.9.x dev series
and do a binary search through then to establish which dev release
introduced problems.

Or

iteratively check through various FlightGear features so see what ones
have problems then walk through how these features are used and the
assumptions they make about underlying OSG behaviour.

Once we have a better idea of what might be causing the problem we
could look at fixes to FlightGear or OSG.  I'll be tagging the 3.0.1
maintenance release this Friday so if a problem is spotted before then
we'll be able to merge it.  If nothing comes before Friday then either
a workaround/fix to FlightGear will be required, or you have OSG fixes
come along in time for 3.0.2 maintenance release - I don't have a
shedule for this release - it'll be released if there are fixes to
justify it.