Thanks the responses everyone!  This is actually very exciting news, as I was
getting ready to redesign some software I have been working on to try to force
the same effect (and the deadline is in less than a week!).

Now, I will have to ask that you excuse my ignorance, but I am very unfamiliar
with the vpb tool and mapping tools in general to be honest.  The application I
am using requires that I use VPB/osgdem 0.9.10 since we are using a third party
library that runs on top of an older version of openscenegraph to display the
maps.  The command that I have been using to generate maps from the GEOTIFF
textures I have is something like the following:

Code:

osgdem -o MyMap.ive -l 15 --compressed --skirt-ratio 0.0 --levels 0 15 -t
MyGeotiffTextureDir

I have looked up the command line options on the  "Osgdem/vpbmaster Command
Line Options" page
I noticed there is a list /w a small description but it didn't seem very
helpful unless you already have some experience with how the application works.
 I have geotiffs taken from a number of different scales (in separate
directories) : 5M:1, 1M:1, 500K:1, 250K:1, 100K:1 ...etc

I guess where I am getting confused is how I specify what scale of textures I
want to show at what levels.  Its my understanding that using the command
above, I am currently generating 15 levels.  Any thoughts on how to specify
textures at each of those levels? Can I specify each level with a different "-t
TextureDir" argument?  Also, is osgdem "smart" enough to figure out when the
best time to show the next level is based on scale?

As far as the "popping" effect mentioned earlier, that isn't a concern.  It may
actually be better as our customers will be able to recognize when they are
looking at different map data/scales.

Any quick responses are greatly appreciated as I am under a bit of a time
crunch!

Thank you!

Chris