Maybe far off, but something I've seen:

Do you happen to be working on a mac?  We've seen something on one particular
graphics card on the mac, where drawing with points sometimes seems to affect
clipping on other objects.  It seems really weird.

I think that when we didn't set the osg::Point state attribute, it didn't
happen.  And when we turned off clipping, it didn't happen.  And it only
happened on one particular graphics card on a mac.

I didn't look at the near and far settings at the time, but I don't see why
that would be affected by the card/driver.

andy