On 10/31/2011 5:24 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:
> To help kick things off.  On the hosting side I currently have a
> Dreamhost account that provides the mailing lists services that we
> currently use, and my account looks to be sufficient for provide a
> Tracs and Subversion services as well - so pontentially we could move
> to Dreamhost and rely upon them for management of the server and
> server software and let us concentrate on the content.  I really don't
> know how well this would work out having not tried to migrate services
> other than mailman across to them.  If we do have to move existing
> services across quickly this might be strong contender.

  I've used Dreamhost for a long time (2002) and they're pretty good. My DH
site is not
high-traffic, but they've been fairly reliable. More reliable than Valencia
(though I
don't know the reasons for Valencia's downtime).

  If you go with Git (and there's a lot of discussion about Git vs Hg -- I've
used Hg more
recently), I'd just use GitHub. They seem to have this stuff figured out. No
sense badly
reinventing git hosting. I do NOT think OSG should run our own repository at
this stage of
the game, even if we _CAN_.

> github also now have their own wiki, Gollum:
>     https://github.com/features/projects/wikis

  Chances are, it's adequate to do the things that TRAC's Wiki already does. In
that case,
it's good enough for me.

  I could also possibly offer to host the website myself. I have a colo box in a
datacenter in Denver that hosts all my website and my OSG binary downloads. I
don't pay
for metered bandwidth, I only pay a flat monthly cost. My current server might
be adequate
for the task, but it might be pushing it too. I could figure out what it would
cost for a
newer machine (I'm budgeting a new rackmount server right now for another
project) and the
monthly monetary costs. I'd volunteer to install and keep the machine running
if the
community could assist with the hardware and recurring expense. I've done this
for some
other not-for-profit organizations I work with. The bandwidth is not guaranteed
throughput, but we can pay for a 10Mb or 100Mb pipe and get quite a bit of
utilization out
of them.

> Finally once we've decided upon hosts for our needs, and the
> technologies that we migrate too we'll need to do the migration of our
> present wiki and version control systems.  We'll need the engineers to
> help our with coordinating and undertaking this work. Once we've got a
> basic plan and the people in place we start migrating bit by bit.

  I'm probably not a good person to step forward for this. I especially know
nothing about
Wiki migrating, but even if we have to do that by hard, that's something
non-sysadmin
types could help with -- copying and reformatting a page and adding it to the
new site.

  It might also be useful to see if there is interest in moving the Forum
interface to the
same hosting platform.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com