Thanks Chris and J.P.,

I am wondering that flt and vpb and similar formats does not support paging
(PagedLOD). In that case, osgb seems to be the best format. Can it store
texture data internally, or all jpegs and pngs have to stay as separate files
(possibly increasing data fragmentation)?

osgEarth is definitely the project to look at. Thanks,
John