Hi Chris,

What hardware are you using?  Could you try another system with
different hardware and drivers?

Also could you try running the following in a console:

  osgconv cow.osgt cow_fromosgt.osg

And then post the cow_fromosgt.osg, this might offer some insight in
what might be going amiss.

You could also try:

  osgconv cow.osg cow_fromosg.osgt
  osgviewer cow_fromosg.osgt

And:

  osgconv cow.osg cow_fromosg.osgb
  osgviewer cow_fromosg.osgb

If the binary (.osgb) works and the text (.osgt) version doesn't it
would suggest something wrong with the parsing of the text file.  In
the past we have seen problems with some ascii file loaders with
handling different local settings - i.e ten point 1 being 10.1 vs
1,10.

The only possibility I can think of is that you have an out of date
OpenSceneGraph-Data.

Robert.