Thanks for your reply.
I am using iOS SDK 5.1.
This is the initialization code inside of a UIViewController:

osg::ref_ptr<osg::GraphicsContext::Traits> traits = new
osg::GraphicsContext::Traits;
        CGRect lFrame = [self.view bounds];
        unsigned int w = lFrame.size.width;

        unsigned int h = lFrame.size.height;

        osg::ref_ptr<osg::Referenced> windata = new
osgViewer::GraphicsWindowIOS::WindowData(self.view,
osgViewer::GraphicsWindowIOS::WindowData::ALL_ORIENTATIONS);
    std::cout << "the screen Scale is: " << [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale]
<< std::endl;
        // Setup the traits parameters
        traits->x = 0;
        traits->y = 0;
        traits->width = w;
        traits->height = h;
        traits->depth = 16; //keep memory down, default is currently 24
        //traits->alpha = 8;
        //traits->stencil = 8;
        traits->windowDecoration = false;
        traits->doubleBuffer = true;
        traits->sharedContext = 0;
        traits->setInheritedWindowPixelFormat = true;

        traits->inheritedWindowData = windata;

        // Create the Graphics Context
        osg::ref_ptr<osg::GraphicsContext> graphicsContext =
osg::GraphicsContext::createGraphicsContext(traits.get());

    _viewer = new osgViewer::Viewer();

        if(graphicsContext)
        {
        _viewer->getCamera()->setGraphicsContext(graphicsContext);
        _viewer->getCamera()->setViewport(new osg::Viewport(0, 0, traits->width,
traits->height));
        }

Best regards,
Robin Jörke