Hi Michael,

AssImp use a simpler scene graph to manage read data, in which one
node could have a transformation matrix and multiple meshes, and
multiple child nodes. Materials (including textures) are managed
globally in a <int, pointer> map so objects could share one texture.
But one mesh can only be linked to one material. I personally think
Assimp will divide any object into meshes to support multiple
materials if required, but I don't know Blender output would be
handled in similar way in such case.

Wang Rui