On 01/11/2013 08:26 AM, Christian Schulte wrote:
Hi,

I think it is used as cross-checking method. Indeed, if the calculated
number (using osg::Image) is less than the number of mipmaps specified
in the dds file, the calculated value is kept. On the other hand if the
theoretical number of possible mipmaps is higher than the number of
mipmaps specified by the dds file, the number used is the one of the dds
file. In my opinion, it seems to be possible to have dds files with
wrong mipmap informations...

Right, OpenGL requires a certain number of mipmap levels depending on the dimensions of the image. DDS likely doesn't enforce the same restriction.

--"J"