I've been in this situation before too, and it would be very handy to have
the GL_RENDERER and other identifying strings stored in OSG for the user
code to query. Since many people don't know you have to have the context
valid, and others don't know where/when OS has a valid context bound, it
would be useful.

Potentially, this information could be per-window-specific, couldn't it?
Multiple heterogenous display cards on one machine could return different
results for different contexts.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Alistair Baxter <alist...@mve.com> wrote:

>  My solution thus far has been to call glGetString in the same function
> after my call to osg::GL2Extensions::Get, since the OpenGL context appears
> to be valid at that time - indeed the glGetString call is made internally
> by the GLExtensions stuff at that time.****
>
> ** **
>
> It just seems like the renderer string should be exposed by the extensions
> object and it’s not.****
>
> ** **

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 •
GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Digital Imaging • GIS • GPS • osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography
• Digital Audio • LIDAR • Kinect • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS •
Android
@alphapixel <https://twitter.com/alphapixel> facebook.com/alphapixel (775)
623-PIXL [7495]