This is a great topic and I am very interested to learn the facts about
this.

In osgEarth using display lists (on my NVIDIA GTX275) yields a sizable
performance boost over VBOs in many scenarios. In some of my tests I've
seen a 50%+ reduction in DRAW and GPU times.

But there are strange artifacts that seem to be related to the use of
display lists with shaders that prevent me from making DL's the default.
Driver bugs perhaps? All I can find is speculation and guessing when it
comes to using shaders wtih DLs.

Same goes for performance comparisons. Some swear you can always get the
same or better performance using a VBO, but it's hard to track down the
"best practices" for doing so. Some say NVIDIA drivers have a special code
path that speeds up DL's compared to VBOs. Some say it's all about the
number of size of your primitive sets.

Obviously VBOs are the future since DLs are deprecated. So assembling some
best practices for their application is critical!

Glenn Waldron / @glennwaldron