Hi Farshid,

On 4 June 2013 18:27, Farshid Lashkari <fla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You mentioned implementing some sort of backwards compatibility for the
> serialization plugins. Does that mean existing osg files (osg, ive, osgb,
> etc...) that use indices will automatically fall back to the
> GeometryDeprecated class?

They will either have to create a GeometryDeprecated fill it in and
pass it back, or create a GeometryDeprecated fill it in, convert this
to the new Geometry and then pass it back.  Ideally I'd like
GeometryDeprecated placed outwith core osg but this would mean linking
plugins with more libraries than what was required before so not
ideal.  For the time being I think we'll be stuck with
GeometryDeprecated are part of the core osg.

The automatic detection of indices and falling back to
GeometryDeprecated is going to be awkward.

Longer term we might be able to automatically map all the old Geometry
usage with indices and per primitive bindings directly to the new
Geometry and do away with the need to return GeometryDeprecated.  The
only problem would be if users back the assumption about their
availability and rely upon indices or per primitive bindings in the
scene graphs they load, perhaps an optional compile would work around
this.

>I know the 3ds max exporter plugin generates
> vertex indices in some cases. Just curious how those existing files will be
> handled now.

We really want all the plugins we can generating osg::Geometry based
scene graphs rather than falling back to GeometryDeprecated.  So it
would be good to port these old plugins across.