Hi Wojciech,
Hi Sebastian,

Just an extra thought that came to me. Terrain LOD paging may cause the elevation jumps too. When LODs change meshes get denser or less dense - new vertices show up or excess vertices hide and that may also bring lot of surprises.
You're correct. But it seems to happen mostly if get close to the mesh, where the LOD should not change anymore. Right now I'm trying to live with it. But I'm sure there might be clever tricks to make it nicer ;-) I'm trying to get some info from the osgEarth guys, they surely know how to handle those floating point beasts.

cheers
Sebastian

Cheers,
Wojtek

2013/12/5 Wojciech Lewandowski <w.p.lewandow...@gmail.com <mailto:w.p.lewandow...@gmail.com>>

    Hi Sebastian,

    Perhaps your GPU can use doubles ? Many of them can these days.
    You may also try to refactor the code to use pairs of floats (as
    base and offset) which in theory may be almost as precise as
    double. It may be however very tricky for such non-linear math as
    geographic projections...

    Cheers,
    Wojtek

    2013/12/5 Sebastian Messerschmidt <sebastian.messerschm...@gmx.de
    <mailto:sebastian.messerschm...@gmx.de>>

        Hi,

        I managed to get the local heights.
        After realizing, that the osg_ViewMatrix * gl_ModelViewMatrix
        will bring me into world space I was able to use a
        XYZ_to_latlonheight function in the vertex shader.
        There is only one catch with this: precision. It seems that
        the float matrices will simply cut away to much precision so I
        get massive flickering.
        Anyone any idea how to solve, improve this? In the end I
        simply want to draw a water surface where the height of the
        geometry is below a certain threshold. My problem here are the
        fragment where the height is almost equal to the threshold.

        I also tried to move the LLH-calculation to the fragment
        shader, but it didn't help.

        example:

        vertex-shader:

        out vec3 lat_lon_height;

        vec3 XYZ_to_llh(vec3 ws_pos)
        {
        //from osgEarth
           float X = xyz.x;
           float Y = xyz.y;
           float Z = xyz.z;
           float _radiusEquator = 6378137.0;
           float _radiusPolar   = 6356752.3142;
           float flattening =
        (_radiusEquator-_radiusPolar)/_radiusEquator;
           float _eccentricitySquared = 2*flattening -
        flattening*flattening;
           float p = sqrt(X*X + Y*Y);
           float theta = atan(Z*_radiusEquator , (p*_radiusPolar));
           float eDashSquared = (_radiusEquator*_radiusEquator -
        _radiusPolar*_radiusPolar)/(_radiusPolar*_radiusPolar);
           float sin_theta = sin(theta);
           float cos_theta = cos(theta);

           float latitude = atan( (Z +
        eDashSquared*_radiusPolar*sin_theta*sin_theta*sin_theta), (p -
        _eccentricitySquared*_radiusEquator*cos_theta*cos_theta*cos_theta)
        );
           float longitude = atan(Y,X);
           float sin_latitude = sin(latitude);
           float N = _radiusEquator / sqrt( 1.0 -
        _eccentricitySquared*sin_latitude*sin_latitude);
           float height = p/cos(latitude) - N;
           return vec3(longitude, latitude, height);
        }

        void main()
        {
               vec3 ws_pos = osg_ViewMatrix * osg_ModelViewMatrix *
        gl_Vertex;
                llh = XYZ_to_llh(ws_pos);
        }

        fragment:

        void main()
        {
            if (llh.z < 10.0)
            {
                gl_FragColor = vec4(1,0,0,1);
            }
            else
            {
                gl_FragColor = color;

            }
        }

            Hi,

            I have a osgDEM produced geocentric database.
            I looked into the geometryTechnique implementation to see
            if I somehow can access the height of the vertices above
            the ellipsoid in the vertex shader.
            Unfortunately I don't have any idea how to calculate this
            from the give matrices. Is this information somehow
            available at all?
            My plan is to overwrite some of the functionality in the
            geometryTechnique to pass the appropriate matrices to the
            shader.
            Anyone having an idea?