Hi Christian,

On 26 September 2014 10:02, Christian Buchner <christian.buch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My use case is actually installing new nodes into the scene graph
> (dynamically generated ImageStreams playing videos as needed).

Depending on how much work you do in creating the new nodes it might be
appropriate to use a back ground thread and pass the merge via an custom
osg::Operation, but if it's just quads then it's like they you won't need a
separate database thread as it'll be so cheap to create the objects in the
main thread - all could be done inside the osg::Operation.

> I will be using update operations, but not necessarily using separate
> threads for these. Although it would be interesting to see if the video
> decoding could be shifted entirely to a separate thread - if the FFMPEG
> plugin doesn't already do that).

 All the video related plugins run a separate thread(s) for doing the
reading of the video.