> On 19 Feb 2018, at 16:49, Jürgen E. Fischer <j...@norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Kristian,
>
> On Mon, 19. Feb 2018 at 14:52:16 +0000, Kristian Evers wrote:
>> As you may know, a new version of the PROJ library is about to be released.
>> At the moment we are on release candidate 3 [0].  It is very likely that this
>> release candidate will be promoted to the final release. Before that happens
>> though, I want to make sure that everything works as expected in OSGeo4W. I
>> still haven't received any feedback on the release candidates from Windows
>> users though. Could someone please test that the release candidate builds and
>> works as expected in the OSGeo4W environment?
>
> 5.0.3RC3-1 is packaged for testing.  Seems to work as a drop in replacement of
> 4.9.3.  Should there be ABI incompabilities?

Thanks Jürgen!

The changes are add-ons compared to previous releases so there should be no
incompatibilities. Although as a matter of principle the so-versions has been
bumped because we are doing a major release. In a years time version 6 will be
released which WILL break stuff. This is also announced in the release notes
for version 5, but just an additional heads up since it probably will cause
some pain in the future (hopefully not that much).

I have just done a few tests with QGIS and on the surface it looks fine. The
only thing that I noticed was that in the QGIS about dialog the “PROJ.4”
Version is set to 4.9.3, which obviously should be 5.0.0 in this case.
Additionally the "PROJ.4” should be changed to “PROJ” (as per the release
notes). I’ll report this back to the QGIS-dev list as well.

/Kristian