As far as I know the GPX file format contains a list of waypoints
(coordinates), nothing else.
A navigation software uses these waypoints to create a route, depending on
settings. Osmand does it different for cars, bicycle or walking. For cars
it can be set to snap the closest way from point to point on the matching
road. Thats why not many waypoints are needed, just so many to stay on the
desired roads.
I create my GPX files on the PC with "ITN CONVERTER" using Open Street Maps.
Very simple and free tool.
Then I use the GPX with Osmand, also with Open Street Maps.
Works perfect.
I disabled "Pass along the entire track" and I will test if this was the
solution for my problem with the missed waypoints.