Hello, As a new OTA/L a week into my first job in a SNF, I have become well
acquainted with the UE focus of OT. But, I think the most frustrating part
of the process is not some much the interventions but the fact that so many
of my patients have really no "occupation" to look forward to when
discharged from rehab. It is no wonder we may be tempted to stick with just
UE exercises. ( besides ADL's we do in rooms)

Question...tell me about a typical day you spend at home?

Replies (paraphrased)

Patient A- "I just watch Soaps..my daughter does everything (cooking,
cleaning)"
Patient B- "I have not worked since I gained weight...have not left the
house except to come here for 2 weeks...thank god for disability."
Patient C- "I don't want therapy and you can't make me go".
patient D- " The nurses do everything for me...why should I dress myself"

How can we motivate patients to value "occupation" when thier goals are to
just get strong enough to go back to their lives which in many cases is
totally dependent on others. Even simple ADL's do not seem to be a goal of
some patients?

I also see in some ways why UE has become so popular in SNF's....it's easy,
it looks productive, and it can be done simultaneously with others.
Productivity expectations have created UE ther-ex focused treatment. It is
almost impossible to individualize OT treatment when you have 5-6 or more
patients seeking your attention all at one time. In addition , I have
noticed PT/OT /Speech seem to be in melting pot of therapy. I see speech do
cognitive activities I learned in school. Sometimes the only difference you
can really tell between an OT and PT in the gym setting is where they focus
patient work (above or below the belt)

HH is a little different..I would expect a HH  agency to value occupation. I
mean...it is one on one therapy for gods sakes. So much can be done in that
setting. I would be frustrated too. We have to make a commitment to see UE
ther-ex as a means to an end. Strength to transfer to a toilet
independently-standing tolerance to create a simple meal in the kitchen from
a recipe chosen by the patient). But is should never be the "only" focus or
we have essentially become PT's..we all need to educate our patients about
what we do...and sadly other professionals around us.