From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com]on
Behalf Of Ron Carson
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 09:25
To: cmnahrw...@aol.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Why OT's Should NOT Focus on the UE

I will take Chris' suggestions a little further. If the patient wants to
bathe  in  the  shower,  you must 1st know the environment in which this
occurs.

        Is  it  a roll-in shower, walk-in shower, tub w/ a shower, glass
        doors,  does it have a seat, how big is the shower, does it have
        grab rails.

These  environmental  issues  are VERY important to the goal of
showering.

Also,  you  must  understand the persons physical, mental, cognitive and
social strengths and weakness.

IF  showering is the goal, a skilled OT looks at all factors involved in
the  process,  identifies  which are hindering success and then works on
overcoming these factors.

Also,  if  showering is the goal, it is NOT necessary to shower with the
patient during every treatment session. What IS important is identifying
barriers (and there are more than I listed) and then working on the most
significant  problem(s). If LE strength is a KNOWN limitation, then make
the patient's muscles stronger. Personally, I don't do exercises. I tell
patient's  that's PT's job. I am not well enough trained to identify and
treat  SPECIFIC muscle weakness/imbalance. Instead, I ask patients to do
challenging physical activity.

The  list of possible barriers is really endless. Two of the most common
barriers  patient  encounter  are  fear and lack of competency. In these
situations,  a  skilled  OT can progress the patient by engaging them in
over-achieving  activity.  For example, if a patient wants to shower but
is  afraid  to  step  over  a  4"  threshold into their shower, set up a
clinical situation where the patient has a 5" threshold. Provide various
challenges  (i.e.  walker  ~vs~ no walker, rail ~vs~ no rail). Practice,
practice, practice is what builds competency and decreases fear.

Remember,  ALL  therapy  should  require  the  skills  of a therapist. I
frequently  tell  patients,  I am not going to do "that" because it does
not  require  my  skills.  Ask yourself, are you doing something that an
aide  could  be doing? If so, then you are not doing therapy! If you are
sitting  around  bored  to death, watching patients do exercise, you are
not doing therapy. If you are not challenging your patients beyond their
ability,  you  are not doing therapy. If patients are not progressing to
their goals, you are not doing therapy.

Therapy  is  a  SKILL.  If you are not applying skill, you are not doing
therapy!

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT