Hello Diane:

Here would be my approach:

1. Identify the patient's occupational goal(s)

        a.  What  does he want/need to do in order to live as safely and
        independently as reasonably possible

2. Identify underlying barriers:

        a. Physical

        b. Cognitive

        c. Mental

        d. Social

        e. Environmental

3. Prioritize the goals/barriers

4.  Address  those  barriers  that are within your scope of practice and
expertise.

Forget  about  the UE, LE stuff. Focus on the occupational needs/desires
of the patient. If it's endurance, then work on endurance. If it's fear,
then work on fear. If it's motivation, then work on motivation.

The BIGGEST challenge is knowing the occupations and barriers to address

On a final note. It may be time to d/c the patient if:

        1. There are no occupational goals

        2. The goals have been met

        3.  You  are  unable  to  address the causes leading to the occupational
        dysfunction.

        4. The patient does not desire to address his occupational need.

In  my  opinion,  you  must not let yourself be pigeon-holed into the UE
therex mentality. Expand your horizons. Meet the patient where THEY are.
Figure out who and what they are about. Develop rapport with him so that
you can be of greatest therapeutic benefit.

Remember, the goal is to improve occupational performance.

Stay  in touch, keep us informed and keep asking questions. You are 100%
on   the   right  track  to  becomming  a  "non-UE  therex  occupational
therapist."

Gotta love it!