From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com]on
Behalf Of susanne
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 15:48
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Why OT's Should NOT Focus on the UE

Hi Diane!

Me, I'm quite impressed with your work with your patient - you may not have
conveyed to us all that you do and I guess this is because some of it
happens "silently" - but you seem to have established a great working
relationship with him. You've together found out a lot about his motivation.
He actually is loosing weight - he keeps weights in his room - he wants to
go on about his training, weight loss and independence. For a person whose
problems stem from serious overweight this is really something!!

So I hope you congratulate yourself about these achievements and don't start
questioning everything you do as a result of our probing here. Consider the
opposite: Him not being motivated to loose weight, work out, or much engage
in changing his situation, the isolation included.... Even if you'd then
succeed in some improved independence - ie from him learning some good ole
OT tricks and lots of adaptive equipment and environment changes - my guess
is he would soon either die from complications to his lifestyle, or suffer a
very low quality of life.

It's not that I disagree with what Ron and Chris said - it's just that
there's more to it IMO - like establishing 'rapport' with patient, digging
into motivation (like what actually 'moves' the patient), considering
overall QOL etc. You seem to really have gone there, and I suspect this has
guided your choice of intervention in more ways than meet the eye!

Off my soap box for now:-)

Warmly

susanne, denmark

PS: A few abbreviations I didn't understand: PN, therex, RW. Could you
elaborate?