Dude, I am a "seasoned" OT <I really don't like that term>! <smile>

----- Original Message -----
From: gr...@backhomesafely.com <gr...@backhomesafely.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009
To:   OTlist <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Subj: [OTlist] A New One

gbc> Ron  I  understand you are confused. Please stop writing on the internet
and
gbc> have  a  long  conversation in person with a seasoned OT. I do not think
you
gbc> are  as  confused and insecure as your writing projects and I don't think
it
gbc> helps  to have this tone as an example of the profession of OT for people
gbc> interpret  out  of  context.  Please  feel  free to call me at (phone
number
gbc> removed  by  moderator).

gbc> Have  a  great  day. Sent from my Verizon Wireless
gbc> BlackBerry

gbc> -----Original Message-----
gbc> From: Pat Ellison <pat0...@earthlink.net>

gbc> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 06:35:36
gbc> To: <OTlist@otnow.com>
gbc> Subject: Re: [OTlist] A New One

gbc> Ummmm.... Ron?  As a car salesman, wouldn't you
gbc> *still* be working on mobility??  ;Þ

gbc> Pat

gbc> At 05:48 AM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
>>But  as  a  PROFESSION, don't we NEED a common ground? And not just a common
>>ground, but a grounding that is UNIQUE, SEPARATE and DESIRED/NEEDED by other
>>professions and patients?
>>
>>As  much  as  a  I  preach  occupation, I sometimes wonder if it's different
>>enough  from  PT  to  be  a  recognized  as  a  truly unique contribution to
>>healthcare. I find that with very few exceptions, almost 100% of my patients
>>want to increase mobility. Of course, they want to do this so they can go to
>>the  toilet,  get their clothes, etc. BUT, they also want to be able to walk
>>simply because walking represents independence and normality.
>>
>>I've  had  many home health patients, in fact most, who I worked on mobility
>>as  the  PRIMARY  treatment. For example, I have 4 patients today and ALL of
>>them  have  mobility  related  issues.  I  am  either  working  on improving
>>ambulation skills or transfer skills.
>>
>>I  do this because patients want to be able to walk to the toilet, get their
>>clothes,  walk  to  the dining room, etc. These are their occupational goals
>>and  the  PRIMARY  impedance  to these goals is mobility (strength, balance,
>>cognition, environment).
>>
>>I  am  100% confident that I'm working on occupation. I say this because the
>>goals  are  occupational improvement, not mobility goals. But, it APPEARS to
>>patients and other therapists that I am working as a PT.
>>
>>Sometimes, I get so confused and overwhelmed at being an OT and knowing what
>>is and what isn't, that I just want to run and become a car salesman (LOL).
>>
>>Ron

gbc> --
gbc> Options?
gbc> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com