On 8/30/2018 2:51 PM, Ophir Munk wrote:
Hi Ian,
Please find comments inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Stokes [mailto:ian.sto...@intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:15 PM
To: ovs-dev@openvswitch.org
Cc: Ophir Munk <ophi...@mellanox.com>; Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org>; Aaron
Conole <acon...@redhat.com>; Kevin Traynor <ktray...@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] OVS DPDK Latest & HWOL Branches

On 8/30/2018 9:31 AM, Stokes, Ian wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:32:31AM +0100, Ian Stokes wrote:
On 8/27/2018 5:16 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 04:05:39PM +0000, Ophir Munk wrote:
4. How can I inspect the new branches? Currently I am not seeing
them.

I do not think that Ian has created the new branches yet.

I can create these today.

There was some discussion as regards the branch names. Before
creating them are people happy with 'branch-dpdk-latest' and 'branch-
dpdk-hwol' ?

If there are no objections then I'll go ahead with these today.

I'd leave out the "branch-" prefixes.  The existing branches only
have those prefixes because e.g. "2.10" seemed too easy to confuse
with a release name.

OK, that makes sense, we'll stick with 'dpdk-latest' and 'dpdk-hwol' so.

Just a quick follow up. I've push 'dpdk-latest' and 'dpdk-hwol' branches to the
OVS repo so people can start using them.

I confirm fetching the new branches

Thanks for testing and confirming.

If sending patches user the subject header prefix 'dpdk-latest' or 'dpdk-hwol'
so that it's clear which branch the patch is intended for.

We should document the usage of these branches to make it clear they are
intended to aid development work only, not a replacement for master so
that casual users do not get confused. I'll look into this.

There are still a few questions we should nail down:

How often should dpdk-latest rebase to pull changes from master?
Weekly/biweekly?

How often should dpdk-hwol rebase to pull changes form dpdk-latest?

Both branches should be rebased as frequently as possible and simultaneously.
A weekly rebase seems OK.
Important: is there an option to run regression tests on these branches
(verifying backward compatibility)?

Both branches will automatically be run through the OVS travis build when a new commit is made, I've tested this already today after creating them and can confirm they are working, links below to the build output.

dpdk-latest: https://travis-ci.org/openvswitch/ovs/builds/422471470
dpdk-hwol: https://travis-ci.org/openvswitch/ovs/builds/422472112

On my side as the committer for the branches I plan to run any patches through the vsperf performance and integration tests also to check for any performance degradation or breaks in existing features.

Besides these, 0 day robot will help catch issues with patches once they are send to the mailing list.

I'd like to hear input from users on these as it would affect their workflow if
they are active with these branches. If we can stick to a schedule it should
make life easier.

Who are going to be the new branches maintainers?
I am volunteering for being a maintainer.
If there is a limitation that only Ian can update the new branches - that's OK.
In that case Ian can pull them from a known remote repository handled by the
maintainers

I'm not sure of the model you are looking for here. I would have thought that patches to be committed to either dpdk-latest or dpdk-hwol would be sent to the mailing list as per usual for review from other developers in the community. Then applied by the committer to dpdk-latest or dpdk-hwol once there is agreement and sign off.

If we are pulling from a remote branch then it would seem to defeat this as patches on that branch would have already been merged without discussion from the ML?

Maybe I've misunderstood.

One issue not discussed in this thread is the upgrade to dpdk 18.08 on OVS
master branch.
I suggest dedicating the weeks till end of September for OVS testing by NIC
vendors.

I don't think master will upgrade to 18.08 anymore, instead it would wait for 18.11 LTS. I would think having the dpdk-latest branch negates the need for OVS master to move to 18.08 now?

One of the main concerns regarding moving to DPDK 18.08 on master is if the situation arose where there was a blocking issue for OVS moving to DPDK 18.11. You would then have an OVS release using 18.08 and we wish to avoid releases using non DPDK LTS.

In parallel dpdk-latest branch should be updated (starting immediately) to
support dpdk-18.08 followed by running regression tests on it.
We can target end of September for adding all missing code, cleaning Travis
errors, replacing deprecated APIs, etc.
By end of September Ian should be able to merge dpdk-latest (18.08) into OVS
master branch.

As per above, the next merge of dpdk-latest to OVS master would be the move to 18.11.

Ian