It will look like:

1Wire network (DS18B20, DS2408, etc) -- uC (ATTiny, ATmega) GPIO, OneWire,
DallasTemperature, SoftwareSerial libraries -- XBee/Zigbee send --
XBee/Zigbee receive -- RPi

At the moment the serial output from the uC is just code I write that says
'hey, here the temperature is'. If I can process it into a owserver
friendly format at either end, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll just
have to process it into a database using pyserial. Not a big deal, but not
as elegant as owfs and owserver.

I'd happily put a DS2483 at the 1wire end if I thought it would get me
anywhere, but I can't see that it will.