Well, connecting pin 2 and 3 didn't work.  The DS2438 appears dead too.
There also was a DS18B20 on the board which I desoldered and tested
separately, and it was dead.  So I think it's safe to assume that the
entire board is lost.

I'm not sure what happened.  There was a lightning strike causing some
damage to other parts of the weather station this summer (some parts
turned to ash), but this sensor was completely disconnected (and it
worked when I disconnected it in May).  Even disconnected, I guess there
still is a possibility that a nearby lightning strike can cause damage.
I've lost one of these sensors to lightning before, but then the whole
box had gone up in flames so there was no doubt what the cause was.

-Steinar