@Greg, IMHO, unless you are practising Test Driven Design, I do not
believe MVC is a necessarily silver bullet over normal ASP.NET. It's
still cleaner, but often there are things that are easier to do in
normal ASP.Net.
If you do practice TDD though, it's an absolute god-send.

Yes, while there are more files in MVC, each has only a single intent
and so are small and easy to understand.
This is different than the mega-long entangled code-behind pages you
often find in standard ASP.NET which often contain everything
including the kitchen sink.
Overall the amount of code is about the same.

I learned MVC the same way I normally learn things: watched a couple
of videos on Channel 9 MSDN so I understood the basics. And then I
jumped right in and wrote a pet-project in it, and looked up topics as
I need them.

I do know one guy who went from ASP.Net to MVC and hated it. MVC just
didn't click for him. Long story short, he got into Ruby On Rails
development soon after, and this caused all of the MVC pieces to fall
into place for him. Now he prefers MVC and sings its praises.

I've written a couple of commercial intranet sites in MVC3 - but both
have been fairly small. Usually all of the larger sites I do all tend
to be based in SharePoint - simply because that is the infrastructure
that tends to be in place in large companies. I don't see any reason
why MVC wouldn't scale well.