> MSDN mag was once something I read cover to cover. Now, I glance at the
>>> front page, maybe read the editorial, then throw it into a drawer never to
>>> be looked at again.
>>> Am I the only one?

Hell no! I'm fed up with articles about phones, Windows 8, Store Apps,
Javascript and WinRT (mostly telling us what WinRT *can't do*). For years I
was also slowly getting sick of McCaffrey's articles which were getting so
academic that they were useless for real-world developers. So useless in
fact that I was going to email the editors and politely tell them that
although I'm a profound geek, I have absolutely no use for genetic
algorithms, matrix decomposition, adaptive boosting or artificial immune
systems. Even Petzold's relentless articles about perspective graphics and
music synthesis aren't of much use or interest (even though I'm a musician).

I have an almost unbroken set of issues going back to May 1993, and in the
last 2 years I have felt the same shift of focus away from core languages,
tools and frameworks into what marketing must think they want us to read. I
scan all pages, but I find I'm increasingly flipping over more and more
pages like you.

Greg K

P.S. I'd better go and look in the letterbox.