New isn't bad but it needs to balance out and if anyone inside the company
actually thinks the large majority of .NET developers are working on "new"
day in day out they probably have a distorted view over the entire
landscape. The reports I used to read / get on developer adoption were
inaccurate and often the surveys were gamed / asked irrelevant questions to
give projection of growth ("Would you consider x new technology vs Are you
working right now with X technology"). For instance we had at one stage 2%
adoption of WPF and 60% adoption of Silverlight out of 10 million
developers.

Then the next month the numbers were revised and it was 6 million and the %
changed but then when I flew around Australia visiting customers / CIO's
etc I'd ask the question how they are doing in terms of adopting the new -
answers I got back were "We're looking into it but a core code base is
still ASP.NET or WinForms". I also keep tabs with Recruiters and ask the
same question today, again WPF is aspirational but typically its WinForms /
ASP.NET and lately its gone into a bit of a stall as they aren't sure what
Microsoft are doing around adoption / strategies.

To me MSDN should be a bout new and old even if they have to separate the
magazine into two sections.

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes