Yeah i'm calling "Spacer Problem" on your issues described (ie the space
between Silverlight and you). Everything you've outlined can be distilled
into "We haven't yet figured out how deep linking as a concept works
because we're used to HTTP handling that burden for us" through to "Async
is hard stuff"

Devs tweaked XAML because some idiot in the Visual Studio team decided to
let devs access XAML natively in the tooling, but forget to check off the
performance issues that come with Design vs XAML view. It was a conditioned
response to that problem and given XAML was really never meant to be a code
centric workflow it just baffles the mind at times as to who was actually
in charge of that mission and how they justified it to business reviews we
had. Blend was also a huge issue given they had zero time for Ux
stabilisation(s) and no real investment was given to that team to make it
User Friendly - even thought the target audiences were always that
"designer with dev experience" background(s) who are hyper sensitive to bad
Ux (What could possibly go wrong with this vision of the future).

Silverlight also had a really crappy onboarding process, where we basically
walked up to the entire .NET community, kicked the crutch out from
underneath them and kept giving confused looks when they'd keep falling
over... that is the whole learning process for Silverlight was spread
throughout the web and burried deep within random bloggers who didn't
always update their tutorials to breaking changes, silverlight forums and /
or some random hack training you on "best practices for Silverlight" which
really had no official sponsorship from Microsoft. As a Product Manager all
I had was one question "How experienced are my audience? with Silverlight
...level 100 - 300 breakdowns" and i kept getting confused "starry" eyed
looks like "Why does that matter?" .. i needed to know how deep the
features were being used, what issues tooling is having with features,
which features should we keep investing in and which ones should we
depricate etc.. but like most things at Microsoft it was "Oooh look Shiney
object.." (ie new release each 9 months).

That being said, you have the capabilities to do a lot of plausible and
high performance driven solutions with but it always came back to "You
don't know what you don't know" and with Silverlight thats its weak legacy
but to say "it's brittle" or "it couldn't' do xyz.." you're going to have
to accept my pepsi challenge on that one as I see it much differently :) -
i was tempted to say "But you're doing it wrong" but i know how combative
that remark can get heheh :)

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes