Folks, I've used SQLite in managed projects a few times over the previous
years and it's always been a nightmare to get it working due to many
overlapping issues: choosing versions and downloads or multiple components;
interaction with Visual Studio versions and designer support; confusion and
clashes of timing with different EF versions; getting config files exactly
correct; the dreaded "ADO.NET provider not registered" and so on.

I spent hours last night upgrading some old projects to use EF6 and the
latest SQLite ADO provider 1.0.94 and the latest Nuget packages that
support EF6. They've changed the format and names of things enough to make
you relive all of the problems I mentioned above. For an hour I wondered
why there was no designer and it kept add EF5, until I realised I had to
move from ADO 1.0.90 to 1.0.94. After that there was SQLite provider in
VS2013 and it took random shuffling of the <DbProviderFactories> section to
get it working, then I didn't notice the slight spelling change of a
provider and got "not registered" crashes. Overall it was stinking misery
to upgrade due to lots of tiny gotchas.

This is part of the reason of I've been casually searching for lightweight
in-process really easy-to-use databases for the last year. I'm using ESENT
and will look at Kitaro ISAM when I get a break, maybe even mongoDb
(although it still depends upon a native C++ library).

*Greg K*