> Is it SQLite that is the nightmare, or ADO?

It's a combination, but I perhaps blame SQLite a bit more because they lag
behind but eventually catch-up with dependent tools and frameworks.

>   You might do better running ODBC.  Less layers, more independence..

Hmm, I'm not sure of the implications of that.

Being a really strongly-typed kind of guy, I'm also irritated and puzzled
by the original design decision to internally store SQLite data as strings
and byte[] only. I would also like referential integrity, but you have to
compile it yourself with a pragma on, and I'm not gong down that road of
woe.

GK