It makes sense to me that a hand-written code is probably going to
outperform regex given you're using a purpose-written "tool" vs a more
general purpose one, though I guess it depends on how smart the code
generator is for the regex.

I'm curious, did you make use of the Compiled option for your use case?

For Spans, are you thinking of
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/regex-performance-improvements-in-net-5/
(where they utilise spans internally)?

There's also https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/23602 (which doesn't
appear to be implemented yet) and
https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/59629 (which does link to some
source generator stuff apparently coming in .NET 7)

For .NET 6, I only see one mention of Regexes in
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/performance-improvements-in-net-6/

David