> Sorry not helpful for your situation exactly, but I don’t know about regex
> being easier to read than an old C style method.

Ah, a religious coding war.

The C++ raw parsing code that was transliterated into C# looks like classic
C from the late 1970s (it was actually written in Borland C++ in the early
90s), and it really reminds me of the S/360 assembler I wrote in the mid
1980s. The only difference between early C and the assembler is the
indentation.

The C-style parsing code is about 50 lines of code with ijk ints and
indexing. The Regex equivalent is 5 short lines (but 10x slower).

Do you want the red pill or the blue pill?

*Greg*