> I'm curious, did you make use of the Compiled option for your use case?

No, just an instance I prepared earlier. I'll try the compile option at the
next chance, but research hints it will only produce a small improvement.

> For Spans, are you thinking of
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/regex-performance-improvements-in-net-5/
> (where they utilise spans internally)?

I read Toub's April 2020 article. He's talking about .NET 5 so I guessed
all the enhancements he's talking about would be in .NET 6 I'm using now.

Yes, confusingly, his Aug 2021 article on .NET 6 does not mention Regex
performance.

More searching suggests that the Span overloads have not made it into Regex
yet. Damn!

*Greg*

P.S. Toub's *Impact* counts are 8 in the early article and a staggering 41
in the latter.