I literally have my .net security book from Apress holding up my monitor
and it's about 10cm away from my fingers at the moment. I spent ages
learning that and all the other stuff you mention.

I spent a considerable time in my early career building RPC over serial
ports in C and assembler so that will always hold a place in my heart :-D
 But having spent years (!) time doing XML-based services I'm perfectly
happy to see fewer angle brackets though!

regards,
Preet, in Auckland NZ