Greg, in a situation like this the only thing that comes to mind (after all
the usual searching and reinstalls you've already tried) is to search the
windows logs for any clues. Also perhaps work machines are some obscure
hardening/firewall/similar type settings that are blocking call out/in and
the software behaving stupidly based on that.

<vent>
As the decades go on, the obscurity of trying to find things going wrong in
windows is pushing me farther and farther away from recommending/wanting to
build software on it. Perhaps I'm just getting old and tired ;-)
</vent>

Sorry, I can't offer anything else and I hope you get a resolution.

regards,
Preet, in Auckland NZ