From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@;acegraphics.com.au]On Behalf Of Julie Clarke
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 6:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ozmidwifery] educating the community

Hi all
Denise's suggestion to use TV as an effective medium for educating the
public is certainly something I agree with, and I hope that somewhere
someone is working on a script.
In the meantime in my everyday life I talk to anyone and everyone about
normal childbirth and Australia's uniquely abnormal system compared to
other countries.
Yesterday I was attending a course Certificate V Workplace Training and
I was able to get in the topic on several occasions.
(a) one of the other participants was 5 months pregnant :-) golden
opportunity ! She is booked in to a private hospital.  I was able to
explain the intervention rates at private hospitals and other options
she might like to consider.  :-)
(b) the trainer was of Dutch descent. So I praised her country of origin
and informed her of the nature of maternity services, the safety etc She
was surprised and totally unaware of the extent of homebirth in her
country and the safe outcomes.

That just give 2 examples of how these people who were previously
completely oblivious to the reality of maternity services in Australia
and now they know.
Chances are they will talk to someone else who will talk to someone
else...
Beautiful isn't it :-)

Julie Clarke
Childbirth and Parenting Educator