Hi Kelly,

Rita here (from the active birth workshop).   The only time that genital herpes is a 'problem' at birth is if there is a current outbreak.  If she has no outbreak it cannot be passed onto the babe.

If she starts to feel the onset of a breakout just prior to her due date, I would suggest to seek medical advice regarding use of medication to either help prevent the breakout or help resolve quicker, given that the majority of creams are not recommended during pregnancy, the pros and the cons would need to be weighed up here in regards to resolving the outbreak vs c/section.

I would be asking her if she is aware that an outbreak is coming (such as the tingling feeling when the blister is forming) and if her outbreaks are common or uncommon, length of outbreak etc.  All this information may aid in helping with decisions when the due date approaches. ie: if she tells you her outbreaks usually last for ? days, then if an outbreak occurs prior to due date you have a general idea of howlong the outbreak will last etc.

Hope this helps Kelly,

Let me know how things go

Yours in Childbirth and
with the Love of Friendship