Just to add my 2 cents (once again), the presentations I have seen in the
USA usually at midwifery conferences or on a TV segment have tended to show
women who are hypnobirthing lying down and rather passive, however from my
experince of homebirthers in the states who used hypnobirthing they were
quite active certainly hadn't taken to their beds so to speak. Friends who
have hypnobirthed have never described their labours as painful: hard work,
intense yes, were they present yes, and did I enjoy working with women who
used this method, absolutely. Was I amazed yes but pleasantly so. Similarly
friends who had used the Bradley Method refused (and still refuse) to call
labour contractions painful, the concept of good pain being a difficult
concept. To my knowledge these methods have very good success rates for the
women who use them. Seems obvious to me that women who have birthed at home,
birth centers, or hospital without pharmacological pain relief have found a
method that works for them. Unfortunately these women seem to be in an ever
increasing minority. If we truly want to find methods that offer ways of
dealing with the pain of childbirth that aren't pharmacological then surely
we need to consider all options.

For my own childbirths I can truly say that the ctx's were only briefly
painful at around 8cm though I was definetly aware of each and every one of
them, I was always classically transitional, but could also say this was
most definetly NOT the worst pain I have ever felt in my life even though I
also felt I was stuck in a time warp and could quite possibly be doing this
forever, neverthless for me it was intensely beautiful. I did not
hypnobirth, for me it was lamaze. I can also honsestly say that I had one
almost orgasmic 2nd stage with my 3rd birth. That was heavily influenced by
reading Ina May Gaskin's "Spiritual Midwifery".

marilyn