My concern is and always has been that any therapy asserted as being the
answer to what women need for a 'good' birth confines the needs and
experiecnes of women. Do women really need to have a hypno birth use
acupuncture, aromatherapy or epiducral? Maybe where women are at the time of
their lives impacts on the effectiveness of any therapy used . This is the
journey of birth it is not just the actual experience of birth although that
is important, but the transition through pregnancy and life are just as
essential and women need support  and freedom to explore their own needs not
what their carer is into  at the time. Birthing in a space that enables a
sense of freedom, stregth and security while being cared for is in my
experience the most essential aspect for a 'good' birth. Many women in this
atmosphere do find  a head space to 'hypnobirth'. However my concern is that
so many alternate therapies still give the idea that women need something to
enable them to birth well. Thsi is not a great deal dsifferent to medical
doctors who believe that epidurals enable women more control over pain.
Grantly Dick-read although with the best intentions was still confining
woimen into a type of behaviour to deal with birth.
Pain- In my study (PhD) so far womens fears are not all about pain, in fact
even though all the women strt with well of course its the pain - but - and
then go on to discuss everything they fear which is not about pain. So to me
arguments about women not viewing birth as pain excludes many women who
instantly think well of course its painful, as i found. However that is not
to say it was soemthign I couldnt manage or that was bad in any way.  I
still found birth incredible and fantastic and yeah painful oin a very
unique way. And there is a lot more head work going on that women themselves
need to deal with. I am not saying alternate therapys are not good, they can
be fantastic however they cannot be postulated to being something that would
benefit all women or that women should try them. I am here for all women and
aim not to exclude thsoe who's head is in a place I am not. Dont get me
wrong, anything is better than drugs (in general ) in my opinion, but its
not about my prersonal belief, and it would be fantastic if women could be
aware of and offered access to alternate therapires if they choose them.
Just some of my jumbled thoiughts, Belinda