I totally agree Denise. As professional midwives we also need the authority
to order our own drugs (and there would have to be a limitation on what that
list includes)  including the full list of emergency oxytocics, anti-D,
vitamin K, and possibly but not necessarily relevant vaccinations: hep B,
rubella etc.. There are overseas Health Department
protocols/statutes/regulations for this, i am not reinventing the wheel.
Along with this goes the authority to order our own lab tests from the path
labs. I don't understand why in the 21st century we have to find a friendly
doctor to get this done. As midwives in the country we are either qualified
to practice independently or we are not. How would you feel if your dentist
had to get a prescription from your GP before she gave you novacaine for a
filling? And she didn't carry emergency drugs on her premises when she was
treating you?

As a licensed midwife in Washington State I had to carry the full complement
of emergency oxytocics, plus mag suphate, plus epinephrine, and we were
licensed to carry anti-D and the vaccinations in our premises. We had
standing orders from an OB for intrapartum IV antibiotics. We had our own
account with a pharmaceutical company. I don't know of anyone who ever used
the mag suphate or epinephrine in the last 30 years of practice but the drug
was there along with the procedure taped to our bag and the forms for
notification of the health dept IF we ever did have to use either of these
drugs. Getting oxygen cylinders filled up was a simple procedure. And the
path labs picked up our samples from our collection boxes and faxed us the
results. From what I have read the situation is similar in New Zealand and
Canada, I have no idea about the UK.

These basics of independent practice seem to be glossed over here perhaps
because many of you who practice independently have had the good fortune of
knowing sympathetic/empathetic docs. But for those of us starting out in a
new place the issue around finding these basics can itself be formidable.
Compound that with the insurance fiasco and the apparent acceptance of the
status quo by most (not all) health care recipients (sorry but I do have a
dreadfully hard time with the word consumer for just about everything but
especially health care) and it does not surprise me that we have such an
ever diminishing number of independent midwives.

4am and jet lagged

marilyn