Kirsten,

I personally did not 'choose' which way I would go,  I always wanted to be a midwife but was waiting for Direct Entry Midwifery (Bachelor of Midwifery), whilst waiting I worked as a 'doula' 'support person' 'birth attendant' whatever anyone wished to call me, as long as I was providing something the family wanted and being able to facilitate the safe and desired birth the family required.

I gave up waiting and did enrol to be a midwife...... I was only there for 6 months and had to withdraw due to my back injury as I am unable to work at present due to workcover directive.  I still offer my services as a birth attendant and will probably work in that area as I am unable to complete my midwifery studies due to my injury etc.

I must say that during the 6 months of study and working in a labour ward, I did question my desires in regards to what I really wanted.  I found that by 'working' as a midwife in the current maternity care climate I was bogged down with the paperwork, policies and procedures etc.  whereas I found my 'doula' work to be in some ways much more satisfying in being able to be provide an aspect of continuity of care and maintain the support throughout the labour etc.

Whereas when being the 'midwife' I still had to attend to other clients on the ward, assist other midwifes, until of course 2nd stage where the 1 on 1 really kicks in for the midwife (this is from personal experience and previous experience as working as a support person, not a 'dig' at midwifes whom I feel are very restricted given each individual institution) but still whilst offering verbal support the main 'focus' was on the perineum and getting baby out.  This was where I questioned if I really wanted to be a midwife or support person. Given the slowly changing tide and hopefully the demand of continuity of care etc. from birthing families midwifes will be able to provide the ideal that we all hope for and try to attain within the restrictions that are placed upon us.

There are many restrictions on peoples choice in regards not only to our options to birth our child the way we desire, but also to follow our dreams in relationship to studying to become a midwife or taking the 'doula' path.  I do hope to return to study and complete my midwifery degree, so that I amy eventually become a private midwife and that our 'wonderful' government will eventually provide medicare rebates for homebirths etc. to support the families choices in the childbirth arena.

Yours in Childbirth and

Callum & Kirsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I apologise i left NZ in 2002, as of then i should state i knew of no
doulas, although there could have been.
I find the whole thing rather confusing, can i ask why you choose to be a
doula and not a midwife?
(I'm seriously asking, not being sarcastic either.)

Kirsten

With the love of FRIENDSHIP
Rita

Image by FlamingText.com