That is the point of the charge! The state of Oklahoma is actually setting
up a challenge to Roe vs Wade (the USA Federal case that set precedent for
abortion rights is the USA). First the state passes a law then they have to
charge someone with it then it will be appealed prolly all the way to the
USA supreme court when it will be set to take down Roe vs Wade.  So no I
don't think they really or maybe necessarily care that much about illegal
drug use in pregnancy they want to change the precedent on abortion rights.
In the USA it is about the woman's rights to do whatever to her body over
the fetus's rights. I maybe wrong but I think it is different in Australia,
certainly in Qld. We don't have a bill of rights on last look so it is quite
different.

Despite being a strong advocate for abortion rights I have always had
problems with the question of deciding personhood or when human life begins
or what defines consciousness with respect to abortion. These maybe
fancifull or even enlightening debates on a philosophical level but I don't
think philosophers should necessarily decide issues such as this. I guess I
have always decided on the lesser of two evils basis. However I do think no
matter at what age/stage the pregnancy is when terminated whether an embryo
or fetus has died a human life has ended. Simple at least to me. From a
biologist's perspective while the embryo may have resembled the embryonic
even larval forms of other animals it was only ever going to become a human
being, never a fish or a frog. Never!! That being said in my belief system I
can acknowledge that if a woman knows what she is doing and for her own
reasons cannot continue the pregnancy then she has the right to do so, I
hope, although I would have a much younger gestational age than viability as
the cut off unless of course the mother's life was in danger when of course
the fetus's would be too.

Back to the drug use: if you can excuse a drug addict from killing her baby
from accidental overdose then I guess you can excuse alcoholics from
manslaughter/murder 2 if they kill someone while drunk and in control of a
car? I don't  know? But I really don't think this is what the case is about
it is about overtirning Roe vs Wade.

marilyn