One of my strongest memories from my fourth son's birth was doing a VE on myself
whilst reclined on the toilet. I did it mainly because it was my last oppurtunity to
feel a dilating cervix. WOW it was amazing, but it was mine to feel.

My first son was born in hospital where I had a few VE's, I did then believe I needed
to know how I was doing. Next 3 bubs born at home with same Ind Midwife, no VE's by
her. I did have a feel with my third son, but by then his big beautiful head was
working its way out.

When I touched my cervix and felt the circle that was about 4 cm, so clearly and
readable, it was amazing. How far dialted I was made no difference, I was an hour into
labour and an hour later I was holding my baby boy, that was the measure of my
progression.

How we dilate has become such a focus for birthing women and maybe more so their
carers, its become the yard stick of childbirth. I understand why women think they
want/need them, especially when birthing in an environment of the unknown.
Sadly most Midwives are not able to work (for lots of reasons) in a model of
continuity and women are no doubt asking for Ve's as inspiration or perhaps used with
time as the marker to have the intervention.
I also see women being told that they don't need to have VEs, but then we expect them
to birth with Mids/Obs who need to do them. It can get very confusing for the birthing
woman.
What do Midwives do in this circumstance and I assume that confidence in understanding
the dilation process is an advantage?
Which I think is was Stacey is asking?

Its questions like this that spread the wisdom learnt, not one teacher but many,
cheers
Megan R