Hi Marilyn

I won't swear to it but I don't know that there is any research out there on this practice. However to give newborns their own mother's milk is kinda natural and not really something that we need research to prove is a good thing do we? Wouldn't it be more to the point to ask those who are giving newborns something other than breastmilk to come up with the evidence to prove that what they are doing is not detrimental?? I'd like to see that ... could have them running around in circles for years trying to find anything to support that practice as opposed to giving mother's own colostrum.
All you really need proof of is that expressing antenatally won't put a mother into preterm labor, which it won't and I'm sure you'll find plenty out there on that - then ensure that the mothers know how to store and transport their milk safely when the time comes.

There's lots more than just giving breastmilk though that can stabilise the newborn's glucose levels quickly and efficiently - starting with undisturbed skin-to-skin on mother's chest from the moment of birthing.

I really do implore everyone to think long and hard before scampering around trying to find research articles to prove what is normal and natural while practices using what is detrimental to birthing/breastfeeding/whatever continue without questioning. Please consider looking the perpetrators in the eye and saying "First, do no harm! - your practice is not 'normal' - prove to me that it is doing no harm!!"

Cheers
Denise

Denise Fisher
Health e-Learning