To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] just a thought

This has reminded me of a very stressful incident I had a couple of years ago. I was relieving in a busy horrible birth suite and had a woman in 2nd stage with mec. liquor. The head was born and then nothing - no contractions for about 4 minutes. Finally a contraction came but the woman's pushing wasn't making any progress with getting the shoulders out. The "senior" midwife absolutely panicked me and said, hurry up and get this baby out - you only have 5 minutes. She took over and yelled at the woman to push as hard as she could anyway, despite the contraction petering out. She managed to get the baby out with these efforts and without waiting for another contraction. I was absolutely demoralised and lost a lot of confidence in my own ability after that. I hadn't felt like it was THAT long and can remember times in the past when it has taken a couple of contractions after the head was born for the shoulders to come out with no ill effects to the baby As long the foetal heart was OK - we waited for the next contraction. There had been no other signs of foetal distress i.e. heart beat was perfect throughout labour. (The baby required some oxygen but was quick to recover). I also felt as though I had failed the mother. We had built up a really good rapport throughout the labour which was an achievement as when I first arrived she seemed very anxious and defensive. By the time the baby was born she was a mental wreck.

It might be worth researching this topic on the Cochrane Library website.

Also looking forward to hearing stories from the rest of the list.

Helen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Quanchi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>