And letting go is so vital when we face these slightly unusual situations
frequently. Last evening a woman really had no contractions to speak of at
all throughout her whole second stage of labour, she didn't even really have
any urges to push, but did so on the behest of her accoucheur. Eventually  a
very big crown emerges, next contraction (push) a face and then everything
stops yet again. I. am looking at the clock as this babe is making breathing
actions and five minutes have passed. No contractions, no colour change but
I am starting to think that maybe this baby- making internal manouvres and
attempting to breathe is trying to tell us something. The accoucheur must
have been thinking the same and encouraged some active pushing. Baby was
born 6 minutes after head emerged with tight cord wrapped around its body,
true knot  and lots of fresh mec following the body. Flaccid, initial apgar
6. Responded OK with a tactile stimulation of drying and a bit of free flow
O2 and within 10 mins was cooing at mum. Weighed in at 4490. Thought this
case was interesting in light of this thread
Cheers
Alesa