----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] when to cut an episiotomy

 Paivi<

This article was in a Melbourne newspaper 12 months ago, probably quite current stats. It can be seen in it's entirety on:
I have been working in Mid since 1979 & cut the required 5 episiotomies in my training, since then have cut 2 in the last 20 years, both for fetal distress.

BM

To cut or not: debate on childbirth procedure

By Amanda Dunn
Health Reporter

August 13, 2004

A surgical cut to make room for the baby's head in a vaginal birth is too commonly performed in private Victorian hospitals, an obstetric expert has warned.

Obstetric epidemiologist James King also told The Age that, conversely, severe vaginal tears during childbirth are more prevalent in public hospitals, which may indicate the need for better supervision of inexperienced doctors.

"Sometimes it (cutting) is absolutely necessary, but it's probably overused," he said.

His comments followed a report commissioned by the Department of Human Services, which found that between 1999 and 2002, an episiotomy - in which an incision is made through the perineum at the entrance to the vagina - was given to one in every three private patients, compared with one in five public patients.

 Professor King, who led the review, said the difference between public and private rates may be because vaginal deliveries were more likely to be supervised by midwives in the public system, who supported lower episiotomy rates.

 Euan Wallace, an obstetrician at Monash Medical Centre, said it was once the orthodox view that episiotomy was preferable to allowing a vaginal tear because it preserved pelvic floor muscles. But evidence since has challenged that view.