Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re: Breech Babies
Dear All

This Obstetrician is Andrew Bissits from John Hunter in Newcastle.

I heard he has cared for over 400 women birthing breech babies vaginally.

He is the only Ob in Australia I would allow to touch me (lucky I live 2 and a half hrs away!)

He didn’t even baulk at my ranty presentation called “myth busters” (assessing what really happens inside the current system)

Yesterday Andrew hosted a day on midwifery-led birth units that was VERY successful, partly due to an insane presentation by Pieter Mourik.
175 participants from several states and international speakers.  Midwives were well represented with Kathleen Fahy, Sally Tracy, Anne Saxton, Nicky Leap, Pat Brodie, and Maralyn Rowley, 3 consumers, Dr Ric Gordon re the success of Bath in the UK

The best part from me was speaking to a midwife I had never met who is working in a stand alone unit who had never previously been able to work her full scope who had recently witnessed her first waterbirth with a woman she had got to know .  She said I did nothing I just watched this wonderful woman.  This was a midwife who had previously been reluctant to work caseload in the stand-alone model.  There’s a message in that for everyone who rejects caseload as too hard etc etc.  We need so many more to embrace the change and make it work for midwives and women

Viva la Revolution

JC