This question/assumption was put forward on another list & I wondered whether you wonderful women would be able to answer it for me as I have no idea really.

What happens if the mother sustains a 3rd or 4th degree tear at a homebirth?

Do they then have to travel to a hospital to get it all repaired? Surely this would increase the possibility of infections and post birth problems?

I know there is NO WAY a midwife could stitch up that serious a tear so was just curious about what would happen in that situation (if anyone knows??)

Cheers
Philippa Scott
Doula
Birth Buddies
Supporting Women ~ Creating Life
President - Friends of the Birth Centre Townsville